Monday, August 4, 2008

School Shopping

That's right - it's that time of year again! Much to the kids' dismay, we got a start on school shopping for the year. Since Jeff had to work on both Saturday and Sunday, he didn't get the chance to participate; which is probably for the best.

Saturday was just "school supplies" shopping at Wa*l-Mart (yuck!). Sunday was the big day - with a trip to Fort Wayne for the other necessities. Which is funny, because after looking through the kids' closets, I recently concluded that they didn't truly "need" much this year. So how did I manage to spend so much on Sunday? Somehow, I pulled it off!

First, let me just say that Kaylee asked if she could bring a friend. No problem. This actually worked to my benefit since Kaylee is - by far - my biggest shopper! She and her friend went their own way...doing whatever it is that teenage girls do at the mall. So, the damage could have been far worse!

Second, I have to tell you a little bit about Whitney.She is truly the epitome of the "middle child." She is quiet, reserved, soft-spoken, and typically does not whine, complain or pout (stress: typically). When shopping, she does not ask for things. She may see something she likes, but will remain silent unless asked; and even then you may have to pry it from her. (This is so unlike Kaylee.) So, in the past, if we are all out at the mall together, due to the hustle-bustle, she tends to come home with less than everyone else - and I usually don't even realize it until we are home. This has left me racked with guilt on more than one occasion, and I end up over-compensating some how. This trip was no exception.

I did take her to one of the over-priced, name-brand stores that she likes, just to look for a couple of items. Hey - I had a coupon! We ended up finding several items, and even a couple for Cassidy (even though she wears a uniform to school). The sales girl was wonderful and took the time to talk to Whitney and ask about what she liked, and helped her out since she tends to be indecisive. This was great for Whit - to have that extra attention.

Oh - and the poor middle child did get new school shoes also. She has worn the same pair of tennis shoes for two whole school years. This year, she asked for a pair of "Shox." Yes, I realize that is outrageous for a kid, but did I mention that she doesn't ask for much? Plus, she is fairly athletic, and is joining an after-school running program next year, so I was feeling generous. Well, she has barely grown in the past two years, and is still in the "little kids" sizes. They do have kids Shox, but they are not quite as impressive looking as the big version, and have a much smaller variety. She managed to find a pair she liked, but was a little humiliated by the whole ordeal. I'm not complaining - they cost 1/2 of what the adult sizes do!

Here is the result:

This next one is Cassidy's new shoes. She spotted these while Whitney was picking hers out, and asked me about them. They were on clearance, and are SO Cassidy, that I couldn't say no. They crack me up every time I look at them. Can you picture these with a Catholic school uniform? She definitely has her own sense of style!

1 comment:

Jerry, Chantal & The Girl Gang said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the music...tomorrow I may have to try it out! Way to go!!! Now who is the Blogging Queen! :)