Monday, November 30, 2009

Santa Who?

This is the first year that none of my kids are official "believers" in the big, red elf. Cassidy cornered me last year shortly after Christmas and relentlessly asked me if Santa was real until I told her the truth. I tried everything I could think of to avoid the inevitable, but trust me - she was not going to give up until she heard it from my lips. That was about the same age that Kaylee made us tell her. Whitney has never approached the subject - she just kind of let it go quietly. I think she was always more concerned about disappointing us by letting us know that she had caught on. (That's the kind of kid she is.)

So, while we will always embrace the spirit of Santa - we no longer have to make up stories about how he can get all around the world in one night. I don't have to tell the kids I have a "meeting" with Santa to discuss how they have been all year as a cover-up for shopping. I don't have to hide different wrapping paper for the Santa gifts. However, we also no longer have the leverage of bribing them with "Santa won't bring you anything this year." It is bitter-sweet in many ways.

That being said, I am so ready for this phase! Don't get me wrong - those years were fun while they lasted, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Writing letters to Santa, sitting on his lap, putting out cookies and milk, and staying up all hours just to get everything wrapped while the kids slept. But, this way just seems simple. We discuss wants vs. needs, and talk about staying in a budget. I've even let them pick out some of their own items so I don't have to deal with return lines! I realize this doesn't sound very spirited, but we can relax a little and really enjoy the season instead of stressing about them being disappointed on Christmas morning. My biggest challenge is going to be hiding everything from prying eyes until then.

Oh, don't worry - they may still get a couple of surprises:)

No comments: