Well, Jeff has been gone for 2 1/2 weeks. Which means 2 1/2 to go. We are half way through with this adventure, and not too much worse for the wear. The first couple of weeks actually went quite smoothly. This week it seems to be catching up to me. Maybe the novelty is wearing off. Some updates:
* Whitney brought home a note from religion class a couple of weeks ago about their annual cake sale. Each child is supposed to bake and decorate a cake to bring in to be sold after mass. There was a reminder hanging in the hallway when I picked her up last week, and I thought "Oooh, can't forget that." So, we buy a cake mix, she bakes it, and decorates it with some sprinkles and icing. She was excited and it turned out pretty cute. We get up Sunday and leave early for church so I can get it turned in for the sale. We go back toward the gym and there is no table set up. I go in the gym, and there are no cakes to be found. Turns out - we had the wrong weekend! In my anxiety to make sure I get everything done and don't forget anything, I guess I got a little ahead of myself. It is supposed to be this weekend. We ate the cake. My only comfort is that there was another mother in the hall wandering around with her cake also. We went and checked the sign together and felt really stupid - together. My excuse is my fried single-mother brain. Not sure what her excuse is.
*Whitney wrapped up her running program last week. Her coach said she did really well and told her she should run cross-country next year. Kaylee is trying to talk her into cheering. Whit is still undecided. Oh, to have those options. I was not talented enough for ANY extra curriculars when I was in school.
*My niece, Ashley, called me earlier this week to let me know she was leaving for Iraq that day! She is in the Air Force, and this is her second trip over there. I knew she was going back, but it kind of snuck up on me. Be careful and take care of yourself, Ash! Love ya!
*We have all had a small cold. Just sniffles, sneezing, slight sore throat and cough. No big.
*How about this beautiful weather? (Told you these were random.)
*I'm off next week, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Cassidy is on "fall break" and I need to recharge my batteries. I've concluded that our kids are involved in way too many activities. Like I said, Whit's running is over, and football is wrapping up, but those have just been replaced. Kaylee is "maybe" going to be on the dive team, and Cassidy's basketball is about to start.
*The next two weekends look crazy. This weekend is football, Apple Festival, K & W have a mandatory "master's" dance class, and Cassidy's birthday is Sunday (stay tuned for party updates). Next weekend is trick or treat, Whitney is invited to a party, and Cassidy has basketball evaluation. Lord only knows what Kaylee's social calendar includes.
*Which brings me to my next conclusion - I believe all teenagers should be banned to live on an island somewhere until they are 20. I think that God created the teenage years so we wouldn't be so sad when our kids move out. Don't get me started...
*I'm definitely ready for a beer when Jeff gets back. I made sure there were none in the house when he left. Don't get me wrong - it's not like I'm an alcoholic. It's just that I recognize that I potentially could be, given the right circumstances. Let's call this single-parent stint the "Perfect Storm" of circumstances. No need to tempt fate.
*Jeff seems to be doing well. He sounds a little bored and lonely when I talk to him. Awwww.... we miss him too!
Sorry this is so long and all over the place. Kind of gives you a glimpse into how my brain is functioning at this point. I'm hanging in there.
For those still reading - check back early next week for another update!
No comments:
Post a Comment