Sunday, October 18, 2009

Working Mothers of the World - Unite!

What a week. And it looks like the next one won't be much better. Cassidy was sick last week. Remember when I had to pick her up from her friend's because she had a temp? Well, she went to school Monday - no problem. She woke up Tuesday with a temperature, and seemed a little out of it. Like every good working mom, I told her to eat her breakfast and see how she felt later. Kaylee kept telling me it was the swine flu. I kept telling her Cassidy just had the sniffles and mind her own business. She finally threatened to call Children's Services on me if I sent Cass to school. So, Cass stayed home.

I got her in to the dr. in the afternoon. Once there, they registered her temp at 104 (I'm surprised they didn't call Children's Services). The dr. pretty much told me it was, indeed H1N1, without coming right out and telling me. He was trying to be very politically correct about the whole thing, since they aren't officially testing for the virus, so he can't actually call it H1N1. But, he basically looked at me like "you know what I'm really saying here." He came in the room with a face mask on for the exam. That'll get your attention pretty quick. After her exam he proceeded to get out a canister of disinfectant wipes and wipe down everything from his stethoscope to the pen he used to document her file. All the while discussing this "unknown" source of flu with me. It was very surreal. Kaylee gloated. Yes, she gloated when told that her sister really had swine flu. Siblings are great.

So, Wednesday I stayed home 1/2 day with her. Jeff was supposed to get off a little early, so I figured he'd be home not too long after I went to work at 12:30. No - he got off at his regular time. (Again, I'm just waiting for Children's Services to show up.) These are the days that a working mother loathes. My gosh, your child is home sick, but you have obligations and commitments at work....people counting on you and duites to fulfill. I HATE these days. I'm sure my mother is looking down from Heaven shaking her head.....she never was thrilled with the idea of me working after I had kids.

I was feeling a little punky myself. Not horrible, mind you - just headache and scratchy throat. But, I woke up Thursday with a very sore throat and throbbing head. Temperature only about 99.7. MAJOR lineup of activities I had to take care of at work that day, including an evening banquet to attend. What to do? Cassidy was actually feeling a little better. But, I took the advice of every public service commercial urging me to stay home if not feeling well, and called in sick to work. I very rarely call in sick to work and the guilt on this particular day would have been very painful if my condition hadn't allowed me to sleep through 3/4 of it. That was really as bad as it got for me - sleep. I'd wake up just long enough to think "wow, I've been asleep a long time, I should get up." Then, I'd roll over and go back to sleep. Cassidy even brought me drinks and took my temp!

Friday I just was a little tired and dizzy. I stayed home 1/2 day again. Cassidy had been without fever for over 24 hours, so could have possibly gone to school, but she had a bad headache, and I figured why push it on a Friday?

We were supposed to have about 10 or so girls over on Saturday for Cassidy's 10th birthday party. We had to postpone to give me an opportunity to disinfect the house. And that is what I did for the majority of the weekend - cleaning and laundry. Oh, and help Cass catch up on loads of homework.

Why do I give you this much detail? Why not just say we were a little under the weather last week and continue? Well, you have to appreciate it when I tell you that Whitney woke up today and just wasn't herself. I kept asking what was wrong, and she would just say, "I don't know, I'm just tired." I finally took her temp and got 100.5. That is when I knew it wasn't over yet. I urged her to take some Motrin. She said her stomach felt funny. I told her - oh, it's not the stomach flu, you will be fine. She then puked all over my kitchen floor. (After I had cleaned.) I don't know if it is the same flu or a different one. All I know is that I have to go to work tomorrow. This sucks.

No comments: